Prevention is better than Cure!
Knowing how to create, sustain and manage activity that avoids danger, the ability to recognise when something bad could happen and taking action before anyone gets into difficulty saves more lives than all the rescues put together. There is no substitute for knowledge and experience and this, with our systems and best practices for managing a safe environment, is the foundation for keeping people safe and prevention of drowning.
Action speaks louder than words
The golden thread through all SLSGB training programmes and our education and awards pathway is safety and prevention of drowning. It starts with Nippers at age 5 and goes on through all stages of all parts of our activity. It is why we have an exemplary safety record and why our clubs are highly valued and respected within their communities. It is the ability to do the right thing at the right time and having the confidence to step up when needed.
Services & Advice for Operators, Owners and Event Managers
- Recreational and Leisure Sector – We provide bespoke training and advice for organisations who have employees or volunteers working near, on or in coastal and inland water and who may be involved in providing water based activities for the public. (Water parks, Surf Parks, Lakes, Activity Centres)
- Business Sector – if you have employees who may be required to work close to or in water we can provide tailor made training for risk assessment and safety awareness from basic level up to exposure to flood. We can even provide you with your own flood response teams trained to the
Our National Safety Officer can provide expert advice on development of risk assessments for your specific needs leading to appropriate Operating Policies and emergency plans in accordance with all the legal requirements and to conform with current known best practice.
Our specialised training covers lifeguarding, swift water rescue, surf rescue, rescue boat operations (either surf, fast water or offshore) basic first aid, First Aid at Work, First Responder and trauma along with technical rescue operations.
Water Safety Management based on Search and Rescue best practice
Over many years, lifeguards and lifesaving clubs have provided a water safety service at beaches as search and rescue patrols and safety cover for aquatic events. Awareness of the immediate environment, the constantly changing factors that turn safe to dangerous are all part of the dynamic management of Lifeguard activity.
In response to a demand for a higher standard for event water safety management to support the dramatic increase in open water swimming, triathlon and paddling competitions we have introduced an entirely new qualification that now sets the industry standard. Following established search and rescue practice this establishes a team management function and all the elements of planning and delivering an event safety programme including the working interface protocols for the emergency services.
This award requires prior learning and will enable a safe, working environment for aquatic events, based on legislation, guidance and good practice.
The course work covers:-
- The legal obligation for ‘professional volunteers’ to deliver an event water safety service
- An understanding of the fundamentals of how to establish and manage the event water safety team.
- The basic principles of good practice set by the Health and Safety Executive to evaluate and record risk in an aquatic environment.
- How to help safeguard and protect children and vulnerable adults in an aquatic environment
- The importance of having a safe and competent team with good communication.
- The physical effects on immersion and the drowning process in open water
- The resources required during an incident, and the “size up” mnemonics that can assist managers when dealing with an emergency.
- The variable climatic conditions faced and the mitigation strategies to overcome climatic/weather threats whilst in operations
- The legislation that encompasses Search and Rescue
It is intended that a fully qualified Water Event Safety Manager will be able to deliver a fit for purpose, best practice event safety management service of the highest quality possible. The journey to full qualification is a three stage process of personal development constantly assessed by tutors and mentors to the point when the candidate has shown the maturity, judgement and skill to manage the largest events.
To find out more Contact our National Water Safety Manager Adrian Mayhew email@example.com